Monday, January 29, 2007

Forgiveness

After the first story in the book, Philip Yancey just kept on repeating the same/similar messages in the first ~100 pages with different examples... which is why I hate reading this sort of book...

Finally at page 93, I came across this,

"Forgiveness is an act of faith. By forgiving another, I am trusting that God is a better justice-maker than I am. By forgiving another, I release my own right to get even... Such a decision involves risk, of course: the risk that God may not deal with the person as I would want. (e.g. Prophet Jonah.)"

It's really difficult to forgive... as I have written before, it's a matter of constant practice...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The word 'Forgive' sounds like 'for gift', i.e. 'because of the Grace of God.' The more I forgive others, the more I will be forgiven by God, i.e. the more the Grace of God I received, I think.

aMy said...

Now that you mentioned it, it does sound like "for gift", never thought of that.

I have read one more chapter today and some stories on how forgiving others even before they repent can change these people... I guess that's "for gift"...