Sunday, January 14, 2007

Offer yourself as a Living Sacrifice

Okay, so many posts in a day, I may be a compulsive blogger, but God's messages just keep on repeating, like what one of my friends said, it keeps on bombarding you, even from TV, web, Bible, songs, services... (the TV one is on my more "worldly" blog...)

Today's sermon is on Moses and his call.

When Moses met God for the first time in his life, he saw a bush that was burning but not burnt. What would you do if you were Moses then?

Hey God what were you doing to me? I was a prince, and I got banished because I HELPED some fellow Israelites, what WERE you thinking??!!! You were so UNFAIR!!

Well, he never got the chance to say this.

It's like one day you saw your boss in his car. He said, "Get inside, I'm going to have breakfast with you." You'll know he wants you to do something for him. Unless you're a very pretty girl, you may suspect he wants to date you.

God gave him a mission. Like every prophet after him, he refused. (The pastor said Jonah was a better person than us, because he revered God. When God called him, he knew he couldn't just say no, God would come after him, so he escaped. But what we do when God wants us to do something we don't want to do? Just plain "No, God, I won't do it." And then sit down on the couch, continue to watch out TV as usual.)

Then the pastor continued with an example of a battery (he's the same one as mentioned in the previous post with the ATM.) Years ago, he bought a notebook computer. He worked with the computer with the main supply on and the battery attached. Someone told him that wasn't good for the battery, so he detached it and left it on the desk as a paper weight.

One day, he wanted to take the notebook out to Starbucks and when he put the battery in, oops, it didn't work anymore.

If the battery were alive, it would have said, "Why did you waste my life as a battery? I was just a paper weight for my whole life." (See the recurrent message here... ok I get it.)

Moses said, "Who am I to do all these things for you?" The fact is he was the most suitable person among all Israelites to do it, he knew Pharoah and their customs and everything Egyptian, still he offered excuses. (This I did not do at this present moment. Not that I know of anyway...) "I am not eloquent enough", etc, etc, you know the story...

If your future boss asked you during an interview, "Do you know how to use Excel?" Would you say "No, I don't! Don't ask me to do it."?? You'd probably say something in the line of "I would be able to learn it very quickly if you gave me the chance."

Moses could have seen his shortcomings, yet asked God for help. He didn't.

God promised him a few times that He would be with him all the way.

When someone says he'll treat you for dinner, you can go wherever you want. You say, oh, hmm, we should probably go to McDonald's, it's cheaper. You probably cannot afford a dinner buffet.

God offers you the promise that He'll be with you, and you insults Him by saying, "I cannot do it." Hey, you're talking to God.

Focus not on our own inadequacies, instead on God's presence.

(So, what do You want me to do here?? Hey, did I miss something? I don't believe this recurrent message is for nothing... I've already got several tasks from You, what more? Or did I not work hard enough in those tasks?)

No comments: