Sunday, November 18, 2007

Poverty

As I have been talking over and over about caring for the poor... I started thinking what I can actually do, not just "talking"...

(Please click on the pic below to see the words, I'm sorry, my blog is just too narrow. It'll be worth your time, I promise.)



I saw this on my way to church today.

P1050369

I took this photo at 9:15am, and when I went home today at 1:30pm, this old man was still squatting in the same position as before. As I was talking about caring for the poor, I was thinking if I gave this man $100, and told him "Jesus loves him", would he be more feel more loved? (He may be a really rich beggar, and laughed at me for being silly if I did that. However, when was being a Christian not silly and crazy?) What does God want me to do??

He's been squatting there for hours, and hundreds of people going to my church must have walked past him in the day, I wonder if there is even 1 person who showed their love and care towards him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, when I saw the beggars, I gave them money, but sometimes i did not. I usually find a lot of excuses not to help them or give money to them. Maybe "if i give him money, then he will use them to do some bad things.....or he may pretend he is a beggar, in fact, he is not."....Maybe "if he is used by someone, I may make him more suffer if i give him money....." many excuses. But sometimes God said "Do not keep back good from those who have a right to it, when it is in the power of your hand to do it.
" And I think whatever stories/background the beggars have, they are now undoubtedly "the poor".

Sometimes when i had similar feelings/questions like you, I imagine what would Jesus do in that moments.

aMy said...

I told my mom about this old man on Sunday after I have typed this post. My mom asked me if I had given him any money. I said no, and the HK government has already provided social security to poor ppl, unless this guy is from China.

Then my mom said, "why didn't you ask him?? You would be afraid to talk to him, but I wouldn't."

I guess the best way to do this, from God through my mom, is to talk to the guy. Jesus never do stuff like giving people the money and leaving. He always talked to these people, cared about them. They may need other stuff (like ppl talking to them) even more than the money.

And then I remembered my mom told me some time ago, she gave one (or maybe two) thousand dollars to someone she talked to on the streets coz that person has some sad story (I don't remember the story.) My mom told her someone gave you this money. (My mom was thinking about me actually, coz all her money is from me.) And asked her to go to church.

Something we "clever" people would never do... so much money... =P there's social security, all kinds of excuses...

I think this is what God wants us to do.

What if we have one fellowship meeting when all of us go out and talk to beggars on the streets, what kind of stories we'll learn and what responses we'll be able to get??