Sunday, September 02, 2007

Chasing Francis

I mentioned a while ago that I could not seem to find any good Christian novels... Actually after I wrote that, I remember Susan Howatch's Starbridge series. (The problem is with all the Anglo-Catholic and liberal Christians characters in the books, they will never be accepted in evangelical circles. =P What a narrow minded bunch of people we are. I enjoyed the series a lot though.)

I found this book today, I think I'll buy it later, I have rather high hopes that this book may be a good one... Here's a summary according to what I could find on the web about the book.

It's a story about a megachurch pastor losing his faith.

"I used to have all the answers, just opened the Bible and there they were. The truth is, they aren't all there - or if they are, I can't find them. I've tried to convince you that Christianity is logical and straightforward, as if God can be codified and stuffed into files he can't jump out of. Each time uncertainty knocked on the door, I hid behind the couch until it went away. Now I'm the one who's thirsty. And the Jesus I've known for twenty years isn't making it go away."

"And what about our church? I mean, is this all there is?..." And he tried to seek help from his uncle-- a Franciscan priest. And learnt about St. Francis. (Wow!)

Near the end of the book, Chase says, "When I left here, I wasn't sure what a Christian looked like anymore. My idea of what it meant to follow Jesus had run out of gas. I started feeling less like a pastor and more like a salesman of a consumerized Jesus I didn't believe in. Learning about Francis helped me fall in love with Jesus again - and with the church again, too."

I've read an first few pages on Amazon.com, and it is really good.

Example: Chase was talking to a psychatrist in the beginning...

image002

Sounds interesting? I think so, I'll buy it from the net later.

No comments: