Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Cape Refuge

I have never been able to finish any Christian novel before. Well, I have only tried reading "Left Behind" before. I had pretty high hopes for Cape Refuge coz its reviews on Amazon are quite good. And Terri Blackstock was a a best-selling writer before she was called to write Christian fiction.

I am sorry to say it's a big disappointment for me. I don't like mystery a lot, but even I can guess who the killer was from the start... and it's so obviously being written to preach a certain message, and I think that IS a poor way of trying to convey a message across. One should do it in more subtle ways to make a story enjoyable.

And the story is far from enjoyable. I had to flip through the second half of the book to finish it. I can't believe Blackstock was a bestselling writer before, coz she wrote badly now... hmm... tho she's writing for a different genre now.

Whereas Diana Gabaldon (my favourite writer, a devout Catholic) wrote historical fiction, but you can see Christian messages everywhere in her book. An example of it can be found in one of my previous posts.

When is there going to be some good Christian novels??!!
(Sorry for any grammatical error, it's 4:30am)

No comments: