Thursday, October 18, 2007

Continuing the Journey with St. Francis

Basically the book Chasing Francis: A Pilgrim's Tale is about a mega church pastor who had lost his faith. (Having read the story, I don't think he did lose his faith in Jesus/God, I think he lost his faith in the McDonaldised version of Christianity which is prevalent nowadays.) And the story is about his search for faith through St. Francis.

I am so interested in this book, because I am losing my faith on the McDonalised version of the Gospel according to evangelical churches as well. Last weekend, I had to attend an outdoor evangelical function of my church (due to obligations, sigh), even before the function started I had already told one of my friends I didn't want to be there telling people McDonaldised versions of the Gospels.

The day after that my fellowship mates discussed the methods used, and said some of the people are apathetic to what they told them, and they asked if there is a better way to introduce people to the Gospel. (5 colors representing the Gospel... or 4 spiritual laws... whatever... did Jesus/Paul EVER use them when they talked about the Gospel? Are we more "modern" or are we getting more "primitive"??)

I don't know the best way to do this, I just know the way we are doing it doesn't seem right.

Gospel is the good news. A New Testament teacher said it was called the "Gospel" because before the Roman emperor went to a certain place, he sent his messenger to the place with the "Gospel" announcing his imminent arrival. The Gospel means the King is coming. To this world.

Do you actually see God/Jesus reigning in this world being talked about in the Gospel? Not just reigning in your heart. "Do you accept Jesus as you "personal" saviour??" Is Jesus just your personal saviour??

Christianity was never a "personal" religion in Jesus'/Apostles' time.

St. Francis lived in a time similar to us. The church is losing its credibility, Christians are at war with Muslims, etc. What about his solution?

(Please click on the photo to read more clearly)
P1050316

Is this my solution??

(To be continued...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is exactly MacDonaldised version of Gospel?

aMy said...

I think I'll write more about that, maybe tomorrow, I'm way too tired now, just back from Bible study camp, but today the study of book of Ezekiel, the Chasing Francis book, and the Gospel of Mark seemed to have coalesced together to form a blurry picture for me... but it is one picture at least, instead of a mass of incoherent thoughts...

aMy said...

Bao, I think you should read this

http://littlehohk.blogspot.com/2007/10/blog-post_1637.html