Wednesday, November 08, 2006

What I learnt in the retreat camp on Mark 9 (Part 3)

Mark 9:19-23
"O unbelieving generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me."So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?""From childhood," he answered. "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."" 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

Faith cannot be measured by its size. Even with faith as small as a mustard seed, nothing will be impossible. For the father in this case, he didn't have enough faith, but when he cried out for Jesus' help, it worked.

The most important thing is whom we believe, NOT how much we believe. If we are able to believe in Jesus, then it'll be ok.

When you don't feel you have enough faith, try not to say, "I don't have faith". Instead, try repeating, "I don't have faith in Jesus." After a few times, you'll find that you cannot say that anymore.

Mark 9:25-29
When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the evil spirit. "You deaf and mute spirit," he said, "I command you, come out of him and never enter him again." The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, "He's dead." But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up. After Jesus had gone indoors, his disciples asked him privately, "Why couldn't we drive it out?" He replied, "This kind can come out only by prayer."

Often Jesus' work got misunderstood. He got the exorcism done, and people thought the kid was dead... They couldn't be more mistaken about the situation here...
The kid didn't come back as if he had never been controlled by the ghost.

Jesus lifted the kid up, but the kid still need quite a lot of time for growing up and learning. Like us, we need quite a lot of time for growing up in God.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very encouraging. Thanks for posting about what you learned at the camp. I don't usually get to go to those so this was really good.

aMy said...

I think that was a very encouraging. I'm glad God used this sharing of mine to help you.

周輝 said...

實在謝謝你十分好的分享呀 是次分享定能令看的人都受惠

aMy said...

We should all thank Mr. Siu (and God, of course) for his sharing. I merely worte all these down so that I won't forget it later. haha!!