Sunday, December 02, 2007

Thoughts on Franklin Graham Festival

P1050396

I have attended the Franklin Graham Festival last night due to some unexpected circumstances. Because many people warned me beforehand that I had to go early, otherwise I'd probably have to sit on the grass at the South China Stadium... so I went there at 5:30pm! The result was that I managed to save some seats for Bao... and sat idly for 2 hours... =P

As a friend of mine had already told me, there were lots of music and seemed really commercial... What I don't understand is why they did not invite some local groups to sing instead of these people...

I can't hear what this guy (Dennis Agajanian) was singing AT ALL!



This Tommy Coomes Band was better, I could actually hear their words, and they had even attempted a Cantonese version of their song.



However, if all they wanted was some pop Christian songs, why couldn't they invite ACM?? I'm sure more people would benefit from those Cantonese songs...

Do we still actually think stuff from the US/Western world are better?? More people will believe if these Western people come??

P1050413

Is it why we have to invite Franklin Graham to deliver the message?? And use so much $$$ in the process?? He is not a bad preacher, but I think there're plenty of preachers like him in Hong Kong. Why do we need to invite him to come here all the way?? Why not deliver a more "local" message, one that is more suitable for our own culture??



A friend of mine told me she was really touched when lots of people accepted Jesus as saviour the other night. I don't want to sound cynical... but how many of these people are actually going to really follow Jesus for the rest of their lives??

Yeah, we hear about all these people who said they had become believers in the previous Billy Graham Festivals and they are now preachers, teachers, leaders... I bet if you ask people on the streets, many of them may tell you they had said they would follow Jesus on the same occasions, but they hadn't thought about Him for quite some time recently. =P

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I have some simliar thoughts as you. I have known a number of pastors who accepted Christ last time in Billy Graham evangelical meeting and followed His footsteps for the rest of their lives. I am thinking (I may be wrong) at their times HK might lack good preachers and hence it might be then necessary to invite overseas preacher.

Anyway, just like what Paul has said, "The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice." God reigns. I am sure He will reveal Himself to those who seek Him with their sincere hearts, no matter what.

周輝 said...

我還是來留留言,禮尚往來嘛。

我也有類似你的想法,雖然佈道會各樣元素看來都好像很好,但組合起來的話,總是令人覺得「有d野」的

Jesus' Gal said...

Yeah, you do have your points!

wah! You have much better photos and videos than mine.. And you manage to squeeze in the main venue!!!! I have to go to the Happy Valley one...:(

Ha ha it is indeed very noisy, and the sound full of 'feed'.

he he: in the midst of all the poor sound system (esp bad in Happy Valley), funny foreign lang & translation, unclear words, boredom, crowdedness :) :) etc :)

It has to be the work of the Holy Spirit to help these many people to make a decision to come, to stay, to listen, to come down and convert.


Life goes on and it is the continual work and interaction with our Triune God in our life-time. It signifies a fresh-beginning, the re-birth. The growth then take place. Like the parable of the "seeds on the road"

Someone may take longer than the other to reach their next stage in faith. Somebody may just revert before their conversion, or just stay blank, as if no conversion at all.

But it did happen in their life history that they know they had once made a decision for themselves about this re-birth.

Birth of new Christian babies. What next? Drink milk. Some babies grow and eat RICE, some babies get lost. other babies get lost and be found again later in their lives.


Faith needs a start : conversion

Faith needs a process: growth


Nice meeting Bao and Chou Fai and you!!!!
Cheers!

aMy said...

God can work in whatever circumstances we are in, but I just don't think this is a good way.

Jesus' Gal said...

Yeah, God do everything.
The passages are very eloquent.
Any kind of method to spread the Good News doesn't do everything.
Every method has its shortcoming.

It is good that we have all different methods and ways to spread the Gospel!

Blessings!