Sunday, December 16, 2007

Madman (Review)



I have wanted to read this book for some time. I have picked it up on and off, usually stopped reading it after a page or two because I found it really boring... UNTIL I got past the first few chapters, then it turned into a roller coaster ride. I finished it in a few days after getting past that boring part.

It is a novel based on the story of a demon possessed man who appeared in the Gospel of Mark and Luke. (remember Legion?? that was sent to a group of pigs??) It is interesting to learn about the cult of Dionysus (that is the postulated reason why the guy went mad).

Jesus appeared only near the end of the book, and the book doesn't sell Christianity overmuch. Despite the look of the cover, it isn't a horror. I like the characters of this book. They are down-to-earth and human.

I got a bit bored with all those details on Dionysus later on though, and the way the characters talk/act sound really too modern... And the kid was rescued far too easily, I think the writer took the easy way out in plotting. (I don't want to spoil the story by revealing too much.)

It's okay, but I think it could be better.

No comments: