Friday, January 26, 2007

What's so Amazing about Grace?

I have just started reading this book by Philip Yancey. I have heard of him for a long time, but I don't like reading this kind of book. By "this kind" I mean from the title, I guess it's the warm and fuzzy kind, intending to make Christians feel good. In my opinion, we have already got too much of these already.

Why did I read it? Because my fav pastor recommended it, he's not the "warm and fuzzy" kind, so I guess I'll give it a try.

Last night, I finished the first chapter. I was striked by the story on the first page about a prostitute who rented her daughter for her clients. When someone suggested that she went to a church to seek help, she replied, "Why would I go there? I was already feeling terrible about myself. They'd just make it feel worse."

Prostitutes, tax collectors used to flock to Jesus, but now the church has become so "righteous", the people who really need Jesus stop coming to us, what's the problem?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, many Christian literal works are 'warm and fuzzy' and do not give any insight. Though poor works sometimes also have good points, we still need to pick the 'best' such that we will not waste our precious time. By 'best' I mean those works which worth reading.

It is a shame for any church to be self-righteous. However, most of the churches I know are not like that and they are willing to be a refuge for the sinners. Very often the problem rests on those who are unwilling to be accepted by God.