Friday, January 19, 2007

Teaching the Bible

It's so difficult to teach kids about the Bible.

I hate to teach Bible stories in the conventional way. I grew up in the church and I heard every Bible story presented the same way, "good" way. Every Bible character is good OR bad. Abraham is good. (I don't like him that much, Jacob was my fav Bible character before, yes! He's like me. Now he reminded me of a certain person, and it gave me chills just to think of Jacob... so... he's no longer my fav character, maybe Boaz can be my fav character...)

I really dislike that approach. When I'm teaching kids or just studying the Bible with friends or other groups (even in my visits to churches in China), I try to avoid this.

It's easier to do with adults, but with kids, I can understand why people tend to teach things in black and white... it's difficult. I'm still learning how to do it. (To be frank, teaching kids is not what I wanted to do, most of the stuff I got is not suitable for kids, but it's good to learn to teach in any opportunity. I'm not good in teaching. Well, if I'm good in teaching, God would NOT use me =P)

God, please grant me the wisdom to know how to do this. I really don't want your word to be thought of as some kind of fairy tale, that it's got nothing to do with reality. Now that I understand the story of Ruth, it touches my heart, how real these people are, help me with this here.

No comments: