Thursday, April 05, 2007

Reading & Listening

I read about this research from littleho's blog here
(in fact the source of material of the previous two posts are also from his blog)

It is more difficult to process information if it is coming at you in the written and spoken form at the same time.

It also questions the wisdom of centuries-old habits, such as reading along with Bible passages, at the same time they are being read aloud in church. More of the passages would be understood and retained, the researchers suggest, if heard or read separately.

"The use of the PowerPoint presentation has been a disaster," Professor Sweller said. "It should be ditched."

I agree with the Bible reading part, if you have ever paid attention, I never read Bible passages during Sunday services when I am asked to do so, I find reading it ruins my concentration.

However, for the powerpoint part, I'm not sure if I agree, I think if powerpoint is being used wisely, it can enhance memory. Maybe it's just for me, I can learn by visualising things. Also powerpoint can help by showing the important points, of course it's bad to read everything from the powerpoint, but this study helps reminding me next time when I try to teach the Bible with powerpoint, use it wisely.

1 comment:

Sha said...

I hadn't thought much about it-- but yeah... I do have a hard time in church, when I'm trying to listen and keep up with the reading. Odd.