Friday, April 27, 2007

Baptist University Talk 舊約敘事文學與生命的定向

Just came back from the BU talk delivered by Dr. Stephen Lee 李思敬博士 on Biblical narrative literature. Wow! It was too difficult for people who do not have at least an university education (he's even worse than me in mixing Chinese and English, worse in the sense he did it far more often with no attempt to explain the slightly difficult terms, not that it's a problem for me, but I think most HKers have trouble understanding many of those words) or those who have never heard him speak before. e.g. my mom and the woman sitting next to my mom who fell asleep soon after the start of the lecture (She has just became Christian shortly before, and I really do NOT understand why someone would tell her to go to this talk.)

It is difficult to summarise the talk, and I'm not going to try. The lecture content is too too deep and broad to be briefly summarised into a few paragraphs. He condensed a lot of stuff into 1 hour of lecture, if I have never listened to his talks/sermons before, I am sure I will not be able to understand.

In the question & answers session, as always, he showed his great sense of humour and depth. Lots of interesting remarks. Someone questioned him on the need to make these Biblical characters so complicated and deep. "Do we need to make ourselves so complicated in order to read the Bible?"

"It's not whether we need to make ourselves complicated. It's whether we're going to admit that we're THAT complicated." And our lives are not predestined. Not in horoscopes, palmistry, nor (to wake us all up) in enneagram! LOL!

No comments: