Sunday, March 25, 2007

Good sermons...

I read this unbelievable post (in Chinese) on how to give a good sermon yesterday.

They should ask a certain person from our church to give a talk on this...

I can't believe there's a formula on that? Four stories and one joke in one sermon...

Of course, jokes and stories are ok, I like them, but I don't believe in a formula, the sermon I heard today, I just remember one story, and frankly most of the time the sermon is not all interesting. God talked to me through the sermon. And you know there's a depth in the message.

Are sermons supposed to be like talk shows? Are we supposed to be entertained? We're supposed to learn from them, not to be entertained by them.

Of course, learning with fun is a great idea, but learning is sometimes without fun. Who can honestly tell me studying for your HKCEE/HKALE is fun??

Good preachers repeat their stories/messages, because that's their (or their friend's) real life experience. I'm sure you can't fill you sermons with 4 meaningful stories and jokes every week.

If you think I'm old-fashioned, conservative and close-minded, you've never endure 10 years of meaningless "funny" story telling sermons... I'll tell you what I prefer after that, real solid Bible teaching!

If you can't think of anything for your sermons, try this! (Preaching materials written by Rev. Yeung Mook-kuk, one of the three Bible teachers I admire most.)

2 comments:

Gabriel Chan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and quoting about "preaching" from Cheung Kin-Tin :)

aMy said...

I stumbled upon your blog while I was seraching for something, it's quite interesting =), though I really don't agree preaching a sermon that way =P