Wednesday, May 23, 2007

What's so Amazing about Evangelicals? (again)

I wonder what it will take to get evangelicals out of their false sense of security of cheap grace.

Armed with cheap grace, people began to develop a superior attitude, (I hope I will not be like this) I believe in Jesus so I'll get saved no matter what I do, while no matter how many good deeds you do, you're not going to get saved. We just so often think our sins are less than those of, say, homosexuals, adulterers. They simply cannot be accepted in church, yet we can go to church late and hate our co-workers and we consider ourselves "good" Christians.

I AM SICK OF THIS!

So many people are leaving evangelical churches, the number of Christians in Hong Kong today is the same as the number years ago when I was a kid.

I just googled "hate" and "evangelical" and I got 1260000 search results. Some of them are pretty creative, I have to say I like this one. (Way more creative than suggesting that the Bible is indecent.)

I am certain many people I know will simply say "prophets have always been hated by sinners." or something similar.

The fact is even prominent evangelicals are leaving for other churches now.

What does it take to wake them all up?

P.S. When I am seriously thinking about all this today (because I am so MAD) and whether there are any Anglo-Catholic churches for me to try out in Hong Kong, God reminded me if I leave I will no longer have influence on these people and the only good it does will be making myself feel better.

P.P.S. I have modified the previous post on CU student newspaper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, I got it. God is always searching for those who believe in HIM with all their hearts and souls as well as are willing to give up everything else just for His grace. Sometimes, I wonder why God can be so good that He can tolearte and continue to bless those who are always thinking about themselves but not HIM. I don't want to be like that. His grace is too precious and I hope I want to be a good daughter of Him. Amy, I know you want to be one. Let's work hard together =) If God wants you to be in your current position to remind others to love Him more and His grace is never cheap, stay true. Though there must be a lot of disappointment by people, I am sure God will never disappoint you. I will pray for you =)

aMy said...

It is not exactly that, but partly that. I have discussed this whole problem with another friend, I think we are not willing to bear the cross, but at the same time, we impose the "rigid" standards on others (sometimes outside Christianity) to show how very "moral" we are. When the fact is that our life is like a mess!

And the way we do things should be acting in a way to attract ppl to Christianity BY BEARING JESUS' CROSS, instead of promoting cheap grace and then treating ppl horridly in the name of our "morality".

Thanks for your encouraging words.