Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Psalms 3

[0] A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.
[1] O LORD, how many are my foes!
Many are rising against me;
[2] many are saying of me,
there is no help for him in God. [Selah]
[3] But thou, O LORD, art a shield about me,
my glory, and the lifter of my head.
[4] I cry aloud to the LORD,
and he answers me from his holy hill. [Selah]
[5] I lie down and sleep;
I wake again, for the LORD sustains me.
[6] I am not afraid of ten thousands of people
who have set themselves against me round about.
[7] Arise, O LORD!
Deliver me, O my God!
For thou dost smite all my enemies on the cheek,
thou dost break the teeth of the wicked.
[8] Deliverance belongs to the LORD;
thy blessing be upon thy people! [Selah]

v3-4: David's prayer
v5 God's answer, after that David suddenly changed, how did God answer David's prayer? By letting him SLEEP! It's not easy to fall asleep while you're in the run. However, in v5, the original Hebrew translation, it is something like, "I, I lay down and then fell asleep, and I woke up." This is how David knew God is with him, and he was no longer afraid after that.

Bring our focus back to God, and see God's presence within simple experiences. God did not speak to David through visions/dreams. Trust God.

David did not pray that God kill his enemy (as he did in other Psalms), just slap them or break their teeth (so that they can no longer bite others maybe).

In v8, he prayed that God blessed His people, but in this case, the rebellion of Absalom, the people are his enemies! Can we pray like that?

No comments: